I'm really glad I did that Quickies! Chicago reading in August--it was nice to have my sister Tenae and some close friends I don't get to see that often there. Plus, the writers were all audible and read great stories; the crowd would laugh at things and clap a lot; the place was that type of divey bar that puts kooky crap all over the walls and strings lights around, kind of like a deranged Christmas work party, or someone's garage sale for a good time; the bathroom had toliet paper; and the reading's hosts, Lindsay and Mary, were awesome. They brought cupcakes.
I liked Greg Gerke's story so much I bought his book, out of his backpack, on the spot. It's called There's Something Wrong With Sven, and he was nice and talked to me about living in Brooklyn or something, I think because we were the non-Chicagoans. Chicagans? Oh, the internet just told me The Rumpus reviewed this book recently. Way to go, Greg.
Anway, if you're in Chicago you should go check out a Quickies sometime, and here are some pics from the reading. They liked my sandals. Thanks I like them too.
oooh man, it's like we have our own really awesome mailboxes that will exist forever and can never be taken away! I get my phone tomorrow maybe. I want to hear all about what makes your weak woman heart go beat, beat, break. My heart right now is doing alright. The biggest thing on my mind is finding a comfortable pair of jeans, so that says a lot. I sent these messages to Eric and Robert because I haven't seen either of them since school started, and who else would do it? Robert sent me back a message signed: best, RK. And Eric told me that he can't understand what I'm saying, and to use complete sentences. I am angrily moving my hands around in front of Celeste to show my...hm...what is it these things make me feel? Familiarity? I hope it is not that.
ReplyDeletemy address is 1618 Tennessee Apt A, Lawrence, KS 66044. My school schedule is almost over except for Astronomy, and I miss Chris all the time now. I taught him how to play my dinosaur song and left him alone with the guitar. You should have seen the way he looked with it on the side of my bed in a white collared shirt and jeans and his feet just off the floor and his back curling over and his big fingers moving with his big lips. He is so beautiful Sasha.
Those books sound awesome. CONTEMPORARY. Plus, I've been wanting to read John Updike ever since he died.
The Unbearable Lightness of Being! I wrote that on a reading list I made for myself when I was a Freshman (mostly from clicking around on wikipedia). Is it any good?
Rachel