Tuesday, October 20, 2009

page-hugging.

Lutz, woo me with your tortured syntactical artistry.
This man has read 250 dictionaries of grammar usage.
He reads books backwards. (I don't always care what happens much either.)
He read The New Yorker in order to analyze punctuation, which is not a bad reason to start reading The New Yorker.

As a follow-up to my previous mention of Gary Lutz, here is a lovely little Q&A with the man,
reposted from Eugene Lim.

Watch it and experience brief self-conscious language paralysis, or seduction.

12 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFlzYH-fYoM

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/09/08/opinion/20091019_opart.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J---aiyznGQ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not even know what to say. I'm afraid to say fuck on your nice blog. Come over to mine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke is a dog. I have been thinking about dogs a lot. Maybe Kansas for you is like Olathe for me...? maybe it's all the homework. maybe i will write you an email...my eyes hurt. I went to the dentist today and stole my file and read it in the bathroom while this toddler was banging on the door and her dad was saying, that is not ok! Chris says they'd probably let me see my file if I asked, but he liked how I was like a secret agent. There are moths at my parents' house they try to catch in between their hands and mom asks me if things are ok and refuses to be anything but beautiful and interesting and good. I feel like we could probably do a lot of things, you and I, like a team.

    ReplyDelete
  6. is he referring to the em dash when he talks about hypens? i love the em dash. did you know a line of text should be about 30 em dashes long in order to optimize readability? typography is fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, you got your em dash; you got your en dash; you got your dash. i too am an avid em dasher.

    ReplyDelete
  8. do you ever go out with your glasses on?

    ReplyDelete
  9. no never. only when i first get my glasses but then they get heavy and lose appeal. do you? i have a feeling your vision is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah, of course you know the myriad and sundry dashes—you've got bona fide editor credentials.

    ReplyDelete
  11. are you kidding me I got glasses when I was five

    ReplyDelete
  12. my phone is dead. i miss you. write me a very, very good email all about yourself and your life now.

    ReplyDelete